Essential Oil Diffusers
Last Updated on
Lately, at work, it seems I cannot make it back to my desk without first venturing through a cloud of scented mist. If this is also your experience then you have, like me, also entered the age of Essential Oil Diffusers. At first, this sudden change was annoying as I found myself asking, why can’t we just breathe normal air. As time has gone by, I have actually grown to like these new machines.
In this article I will outline some basic information about Essential Oil Diffusers for those who want to better understand where these unusual machines came from. Also, if you are looking to purchase a diffuser, I will recommend the diffusers that I think are the best on the market so that you can make a more informed decision.
What is an Essential Oil Diffuser?
Essential Oil Diffusers have rapidly grown in popularity over the past few years. Consequently, It seems every millennial’s desk has a unique version of this machine. But what is a Diffuser and how have they become so popular? A Diffuser is a tool used in Aromatherapy to release essential oils in-to the air. You can put different types of oils and scents in your diffuser to change your mood. This idea of manipulating your mood with scents comes from Aromatherapy. Feel free to follow the link below for some examples of common aromas used in Aromatherapy and the effect that they have on your mood.
How Essential Oil Diffusers Work
There are three main types of Essential Oil Diffusers; Ultrasonic, Heat, and Evaporation.
The most common type of diffuser is an Ultrasonic Diffuser. It operates using small vibrations that break the solution in-to tiny particles. Then, the Diffuser sends these particles in-to the air around you to create lovely aromas.
Additionally, some Essential Oil Diffusers operate using heat. Basically, a Heated Diffuser slowly drips the essential oils on to a heated element that turns them in-to a vapor. Then, these vapors are released in-to the air. This kind of Diffuser can change the composition of the oils. Therefore, the fumes inhaled from these Diffusers may have a different effect on your mood than unaltered Essential Oils.
Lastly, another type of oil diffusion method is the evaporation method. These Diffusers release oil in-to the atmosphere by quickly evaporating them with a stream of air. They use a fan that blows air over the oil and water mixture.
Most Essential Oil Diffusers on the market today are ultrasonic as this seems to be the safest and most efficient way to release the mist in-to the air.
Why buy an Essential Oil Diffuser?
Diffusers are basically a way to make aromatherapy more convenient. Yes, they can be used to mask a stinky room but the oils used to do so come from aromatherapy. So, what are the benefits of aromatherapy? Well, for centuries ancient cultures such as China, Egypt, and India have used plant extracts for medicinal purposes. They did this by distilling or pressing oil from common plants like lavender, rosemary, lemon or peppermint. Aromatherapy patients inhale scents from these oils. Though it is not fully proven, aromatherapy has been said to help with pain management, sleep quality, stress, headaches, and a whole list of ailments.
So, if thousands of years of medicinal practice and hype is not enough to sway you in to aromatherapy, maybe the experience will. Take it from someone who started as one of the biggest skeptics out there, the aromas are well worth a try. Even if you don’t believe that aromatherapy will improve your health, a room that smells like lemon zest is better than one that smells like dirty socks.
Nonetheless, the original question is why buy a diffuser? You should buy a diffuser if you want to try aromatherapy. A diffuser allows you to do this without having to handle, massage or otherwise prepare your own essential oils. All you need to do is fill your diffuser with water, put in a few drops of your desired oil, put on the top and press the power button. They are also a great way to freshen up a smelly space.
How to Buy an Essential Oil Diffuser
I hope you have enjoyed learning about diffusers. If you are thinking about purchasing one but are not sure where to start, below is a list of the best oil diffusers available. The best oil diffuser for you will depend on what you are looking for. As you will see below; some diffusers are portable while others are meant to be a decoration in your home. Believe it or not, some diffusers are controlled by an app in your phone while others simply have an on and off button. Nonetheless, please see below for a variety of diffusers for all types of aromatherapy enthusiasts.
Ultimate Aromatherapy Diffuser & Essential Oil Set by Pure Daily Care
This diffuser uses small vibrations to diffuse the oil particles. Additionally, it features a band of neon lighting around the outside to further enhance the mood. The color of this light can be changed to seven different settings for different atmospheres. It is also equipped with a timer function that allows you to control the duration of mist. In particular, this package includes 10 essential oils that you can use with your diffuser.
- Customers say that the artificial wood exterior makes it a stylish addition to the room.
- Buyers said that the device is compact and does not take up too much space.
- Many reviews say that the oils included in the package helped them sleep more soundly.
- Buyers said that the neon light is not overly bright.
- Reviews state that the oils included are high quality 100% pure essential oils.
- Customers have said that the product does not function well after one month.
- Buyers complain that the product does not project the smell enough to fill an entire room effectively.
- Some reviews report that this product has been delivered with broken pieces or missing power cords.
- Some buyers say that this diffuser leaks water.
Smart Wifi Wireless Essential Oil Aromatherapy Ultrasonic Diffuser by Sierra Modern Home
The Smart Wifi Diffuser by Sierra Modern Home is for the technology lover. The diffuser connects to an app in your smart phone which allows you to control lighting, mist, and timer settings. Furthermore, It is compatible with Google Home and Alexa for voice activation. This machine also uses sound waves to diffuse the oil.
- Customers report that even on the weak setting, this diffuser fills the room with mist.
- Buyers love the control that the app allows.
- Reviews report that you can smell the effects of this product on the entire first floor of the home.
- It works well as a humidifier without any scent.
- This Diffuser has a modern design and is a great value for what it costs.
- Many buyers said that it was difficult to connect the app, google home, and alexa.
- You cannot control the mist intensity with voice command.
- Customers say that cleaning the item properly is a hassle.
InnoGear USB Car Essential Oil Ultrasonic Aromatherapy Diffuser by InnoGear
The InnoGear USB Car Essential Oil diffuser is unique because it is portable. Its size allows you to put it in your cup holder. Additionally, It comes with a USB cable which can be plugged in-to a car charger adapter. This portable diffuser is also equipped with 7 different light settings so that you can change the mood in your car.
- Customers were very happy with the price of this Diffuser.
- Buyers are also very happy with the customer service of this product. Any issues they had were resolved quickly.
- This diffuser is reportedly a great way to keep your car smelling fresh.
- Reviews for this product say that it has a long run time. It can go for 5 hours without running out of mist.
- Some buyers reported that this product only worked for a few months.
- Customers said that the water level needs to be flat for the mist to work. When they were driving down a hill the mist stopped.
Round Rich Whisper-Quiet Ultrasonic Ceramics Pineapple Diffuser
The Round Rich Pineapple Ultrasonic diffuser is another great option. Its fruit-like shape makes it a great complement to any tropical themed decor. This one also comes with a light function.
- Customers love the stylish shape of this diffuser.
- Buyers love how easy it is to use.
- Reviews says that this diffuser is well-made. Its ceramic body prevents it from leaking.
- Some people complain that the water tank is too small.
- Some buyers say that this product does not last as long as they would have liked.
- Reviews state that this diffuser sometimes makes a loud water gurgling noise.
Beurer Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser
The Beurer Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser offers maximum humidity in a sleek design. This particular package has 10 aromatherapy pads included. Unlike most diffusers, this machine doubles as an aroma enhancer and humidifier.
- This diffuser is very quiet.
- It is equipped with a sleep mode which forces it to turn off after 10 hours.
- Buyers say that it works well as a humidifier and adds humidity to dry air efficiently.
- Customers says that it lasts a long time and functions as intended.
- Some reviews say that it works better as a humidifier than a diffuser. More specifically, it is difficult to notice a scent in the mist without adding a lot of oil to the pad.
- Customers say that the unit is not sturdy so be sure to keep it out of reach of children.
- Buyers have complained that the directions are not descriptive enough about how to insert the pads.
Essential Oil Diffuser Maintenance
Diffuser maintenance and cleaning can differ depending on which one you own. Nonetheless, it is important to keep a clean device. This will help your machine last longer and operate more smoothly. Additionally, cleaning your diffuser will prevent harmful bacteria from being released in to the air.
Experts recommend that you clean your diffuser once per week. Generally, you can clean most diffusers by filling them with a mixture of water and vinegar. Once you have filled your diffuser, turn it on an allow it to run until it is almost empty. Then, take a small cleaning device like a Q-tip or tooth brush and clean all of the surfaces inside the device. Wipe out any extra residue and then allow your diffuser to air dry while open. Your essential oil diffuser should now be clean and read to use again. Please see the video below for a tutorial on the cleaning process.
Essential oil diffusers are a machine that is used to make aromatherapy more convenient and accessible. They are becoming increasingly popular as a part of people’s homes, offices, and even vehicles. There are many things to consider when buying a diffuser. I think it goes without saying you want one that will function well and last for a long time but there are other things to consider too.
After reviewing the diffusers above, I would recommend the Pure Daily Care diffuser for any beginners looking for complete aromatherapy package to get started. I would recommend the smart diffuser by Sierra Modern Home for the technology lover who is looking for a way to personalize their diffuser experience. For those who are looking for a portable car diffuser; the InnoGear USB Car Diffuser is definitely the best option. Further, the Round Rich pineapple shaped diffuser is best for those looking for a diffuser that adds a stylish piece to their home. Last but not least, the Beurer Ultrasonic Diffuser is probably the best option for those who are in need of a long lasting diffuser that also doubles as a humidifier.
I hope this post was useful in helping you decide which diffuser will be your next purchase. As always, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to leave them in the comments below.
Amazon Associates Disclosure
Sam Metz at Calm Hippo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.